Rachel Graves, Senior Software Engineer
I am a senior software engineer with a deep understanding of all aspects the product development lifecycle. I pride myself on being influential in affecting change to processes that help centre product delivery around user needs.
I have a broad range of experience: software engineering, systems administration, project management (scrum, agile), practices in interaction design, information architecture, team management, development coaching.
Studying a MSc in Human-Centred Systems at City University (part-time).
Leadership & Team Management
Leading and managing feature teams. Scrum & Development coach.
I have 13 years experience working with a variety of object-oriented programming languages, frameworks and content management systems up to senior level.
Tools and Processes
I am proficient with a number of tools and processes in Test-Driven Development, Behaviour-Driven Development, User–Centred Design and Evaluation, Project Management etc.
Ruby Developer, March 2015 – Present
- Lead architect and developer of an E-Commerce and Order Fulfillment System. Users of Babylon can now order pin-prick blood tests to their homes. Results are shown in the app.
- Instigator of Retrospectives, Show & Tells and Friday Lunches
- Interviewing Candidates
- Coaching Junior Ruby Developers
- Coaching the development team on Scrum
Money Advice Service
Ruby Developer, June 2013 – January 2015
- Lead architect and developer of a rails engine to allow the business to create customised financial timelines for different topics. For example “having a baby”. Allowed developers to leverage its DSL (domain specific language) to easily add custom events based on a user’s input.
- Refactored the Mortgage Affordability Engine
Contract Lead Drupal Developer, October 2012 – Janurary 2013
- Provided technical analysis on a number of upcoming projects.
- Produced technical specifications to developers used to working with different platforms.
- Developed a bespoke application for the Environment Agency that allows them to produce bespoke ‘quality protocol compliance assessment forms’ to deliver compliance reports to end users.
Contract PHP Developer, June 2012 – September 2012
- Developed a private API to process users’ donations and marketing preferences across Comic Relief’s websites.
- Implemented a behavior driven development (BDD) and testing suite allowing the team to develop and test using user stories. Moreover
- Advised our quality assurance, project manager and product owner on how to leverage the BDD methodology and produce higher quality user stories.
Contract PHP Developer, September 2011 – May 2012
- Delivered two bespoke ‘social business platforms’, one for Red Bull and another for the African Forum for Agricultural Advisory Services (AFAS).
- Worked as lead developer, SCRUM master and managed all business analysis, user stories and the product backlog on AFAS.
- Organised internal ‘presentation by example’ and knowledge sharing events.
Contract PHP Developer, June 2011 – September 2011
- Senior developer on a ‘social drawing and story sharing website’ project for Scope – the UK disability charity.
- Developeed single sign-on system which allows users to login to either of Scope’s websites with the same username and password, keeping all of their data synchronised.
- Developed moderation portal
- Provided consultation to the other developers in how to collaboratively work on the same Drupal projects (something Drupal was notoriously bad at due to heavy database reliance) which helped Catch with their larger, multi-developer projects.
The Internet Team Ltd
Business Owner, 2008 – 2010
For 2 years I ran a technical consultancy. Running my own business meant that I had to handle the full life cycle of a project, from business analysis and conception through to development and support. During this time I:
- Developed an e-commerce site for AfterHours with back-office integrations into their stock control systems.
- Prototyped a system for AfterHours that imported their suppliers’ stock and pricing feeds, allowing the purchasing team to quickly find which supplier was selling items at the lowest price or had stock.
- Provided systems administration services to a number of companies including Radar Music Videos and markanddan.com. My greatest achievement in this area was when I set-up and supported the servers that hosted a live chat with J.K. Rowling for the launch of one of her Harry Potter books, which had 70,000 visitors during the one-hour chat.
- For Orange Frog Design, I provided technical consultation and developed a number of websites, including an e-commerce site for a children’s clothing company and a membership site for Clowns International. In addition, I produced the code (and sometimes the designs) for a number of email marketing campaigns for Orange Frog’s clients and provided the technology to manage lists, send the campaigns and view stats.
PHP Developer & Hosting Systems Manager, November 2006 – May 2008
- Developed bespoke events management system for General Motors events (including VXR Trackdays)
- Moved the team from editing code on network shares to using Version Control (SVN) and Issue Tracking (Trac).
- Implemented new team workflows and procedures around the new tools
- Designed, Implemented and Supported a high availability hosting system to Big Yellow Storage, General Motors and Toucansurf handiling over 70,000 visists a day.
- Designed the approach that the company used to sell hosting, which I championed, represented a significant organisational change for BMB.
- Systems Administration. Good Technology (now VML London)
- Network Support Engineer. Scansafe (part of the Cisco group)
- Systems Administrator. Cryoserver
- Systems Administrator, facilities management. Auriga Europe Plc
- Greenpeace Key-Activist: Organised awareness & fundraiser events. Lead teams during actions.
- The Field: Local community project. Am assisting in building a community space and garden. Helping to set-up a community cafe and organising fundraisers inside the space.